St Ambrose RC Primary School - Art Curriculum Intent
“We are God’s work of art, created in Christ Jesus for the good works which God has already designated to make up our way of life.” (Ephesians 2:10)
At St Ambrose, we reflect the National Curriculum’s aims:
- Whatever their background and ability, all children will have access to a varied range of high-quality art experiences.
- To provide an imaginative, innovative, and coordinated art programme that fosters a deep enthusiasm for art and design.
- To provide a broad arts provision which includes a programme of visits to galleries and museums.
- To enable children to record from first-hand experience using observational drawing, photography and from their imagination to develop their ideas.
- To improve the children’s ability to control materials, tools and techniques.
- To increase their critical awareness of the roles and purposes of art and design in different times and cultures.
- To develop increasing confidence in the use of visual and tactile materials.
- To foster enjoyment and appreciation of all the visual arts and gain knowledge of artists, craftspeople and designers through links with the local and wider multicultural community.
In this subject:
Art and design stimulate creativity and imagination. It provides visual, tactile and sensory experiences and a special way of understanding and responding to the world. It enables children to communicate what they see, feel and think through the use of colour, texture, form, pattern and different materials and processes. Children become involved in shaping their environment through art and design activities. They learn to make informed judgements and aesthetic and practical decisions. They explore ideas and meaning through the work of artists and designers, including current artists and fashion designers who visit the school on a regular basis. Through learning about the roles and functions of art, they explore the impact it has had on different times and cultures and contemporary life.
The appreciations and enjoyment of the visual arts enrich all our lives. We use a variety of teaching and learning styles in art and design lessons. Our principal aim is to develop the children’s knowledge, skills and understanding of art and design. We ensure that the act of investigating and making something includes exploring and developing ideas and evaluating and developing their work using the inspiration of others’. We do this through whole-class teaching and individual and group activities as an art department. Teachers draw attention to good examples of individual performance as role models for other pupils.
We encourage children to evaluate their own ideas and developments and to say what they feel and think about them. The children are given opportunities in lessons to work on their own and collaborate with each other, on projects in 2D and 3D and on different scales. Children also have the opportunity to work on a wide range of materials and resources, including photography and digital manipulation.
In God's family, we grow and learn, in love hope and faith.
Welcome to our Art and Design curriculum webpage!
Here you will find information on what the children are learning throughout the year and pictures of their wonderful creations and experiences. You can also keep up to date with art events and workshops happening in Manchester to enjoy with your family and friends.
Please have a look at the different activities you can do at home. Art is a great way to have fun and get creative! We would love to see your wonderful artwork - please email your work to your class teacher. Thank you!
Tate Kids - lots of activites, games and online workshops
Studio3arts - Family Saturdays sessions
Paint it Kids online lessons
Explore artists on Google Arts and Culture
Colouring in like Quentin Blake
Draw with Rob
BBC Bitesize - art activities and clips
Mister Maker on CBeebies - Early Years
At The Bus Art Projects
Art Creative Bingo
What's on in Manchester?
Whitworth Art Gallery - Free studio workshops throughout the year. Explore and create with interesting objects! Press the link for more detail - Whitworth workshop
HOME Manchester - Explore the exhibitions and workshops provided by the HOME - Home Manchester website
Manchester Art Gallery - Visit Manchester Art Gallery
Jasmine Walne Design - We are very lucky to have an artist work with our school and provide workshops for all children to develop their skills in Art. Please have a look at Tactile Arts website and social media page for workshops that you can get involved in! https://www.tactilearts.co.uk/