Year 2 2020 -2021
Welcome to the Year 2 class page!
This page will be updated throughout the year with key information, ideas to support your child's development, as well as a celebration of their learning and achievements in Year 2.
Click the links for resources or download from 'Files to Download' at the bottom of the page.
Goodbye Year 2! You have been an absolute pleasure to teach and I will you all lots! Have a wonderful summer and big rest before Year 3!
Please click here or scroll down to the bottom for the daily video.
Please follow the suggested timetable to accompany the book packs sent home.
These books must be returned back to school when you return.
You can email any learning to me at the class email email@example.com or through our Google Classroom page.
Many thanks for your continued support.
We are so happy to have you back in school!
If your child is self-isolating or waiting for test results, follow the indivdual timetable of remote learning.
Click on the maths lesson worksheets. Literacy will be completed on Purple Mash Serial and the 2Dos have been set. It is essential that your child continues with their learning. Every little bit will make a big difference.
There is an additional activity and daily practice of the times tables on Times Tables Rock Stars.
Please send your learning through Google Classroom or the class email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Meet The Teacher 20-21
The PowerPoint is available to download below. It has key information about Year 2 and the learning and expectations. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to contact me.
Year 2 Curriculum Overview
Please download this useful file below to see an overview of what your child will be learning in all subjects throughout the year.
Share In Our Learning 20-21
This letter contains more detailed information about what your child will be learning this half term. It's also full of top tips and exciting information.
The children will be using knowledge organisers in their learning which are full of key information for each specific subject.
The table has links to the current knowledge organisers being used to support the children's learning.
|Shape||Plants||Treasures||Sir John Alcock||Barbara Hepworth||Continents and Oceans||Wheels and Axels||Effective searching|
Important things to remember:
- Your child needs to read at home every night and bring their book bag into school every day so an adult in school can hear them read.
- Your child needs a P.E. kit in school every day and can be taken home at the end of every half term. This must include pumps or velcro trainers for outside games.
- Your child needs to bring in a school book bag not a backpack or rucksack due to minimal space and health and safety issues.
- Your child needs a coat with a hood every day.
- The Year 2 school day starts at 8:45am everyday and it is vital your child is in at this time.
- The Year 2 school day finishes at 3:15pm.
Important dates to remember:
Tuesdays: Home learning exercise books returned to school (at the latest). / PE.
Thursdays: Spellings set and tested. Home learning exercise books sent home.
Fridays: Times tables tested.
Reading: every night
The children will receive two home reading books: a 'RWI: Read Write Inc.' linked text to their current class text, and a book-banded 'RFP: Reading for Pleasure' book that the children will choose themselves.
The 'RFP' books will continue as previous and the teacher and parent will track the child's reading of 2-3 pages every night. Once the child has completed the book they can exchange it for another.
The 'RWI' linked text will directly accompany their learning in literacy and phonics lessons. This will be changed when the children complete that book and move onto the next module. This will need to be read as follows:
- Day 1: Vocabulary and Read 1- Read through the instructions pages to help you understand how to use the book better. Then read through the vocabulary section with your child and then listen to them read through the story fully once. (+ 2 pages of RFP)
- Day 2: Read 2 - Re-read the story again to develop fluency, using a storyteller voice. (+ 2 pages of RFP)
- Day 3: Read 3- Re-read the story and answer the 'Questions to answer'. These need to be recorded inside your reading record. (+ 2 pages of RFP)
- Day 4: Read and Retell- Re-read the story and then get your child to retell the story to you using the prompts on the final page. (+ 2 pages of RFP)
- Day 5: Read and Questions to chat about - Re-read and discuss the 'Questions to Chat About'. (+ 2 pages of RFP)
The children will be given 10 spellings every Thursday to be practised throughout the week for a test on the following Thursday. It is really important that your children learn to use these spellings in sentences independently and not just for the spelling test score. Please use some of the suggested spelling activities in the literacy section of the 'Parent Support Pack'.
This week's spellings:
(08.07.21): Focus /s/ sound spelt c
Blue: race, price, trace, space, nice, morning, himself, before, left, three
MM: race, price, trace, space, nice, both, improve, celebration, would, everybody
(01.07.21): Focus y-ies
Blue: flies, tries, babies, supplies, copies, carton, keen, darts, match, self
MM: flies, tries, babies, supplies, copies, headline, stated, exclaimed, confided, everyone
(24.06.21): Focus - y- ied, ing, ier, iest
Blue: cried, crying, happier, happiest, replied, apart, night, running, next, things
MM: cried, crying, happier, hapiest, replied, Scratch, Mitch, travelled, cousins, annoyed
14.06.21: Focus- apostrophe for possession
Blue: school's, child's, boy's, girl's, bike's, food, agreed, indeed, started
MM: school's, child's, boy's, girl's, bike's, meerkat, Kalahari, desert, adventure, together
Numeracy and Literacy: due every Tuesday.
The children will be given a page of literacy and numeracy to complete in their home learning exercise books every Thursday to be returned for the following Tuesday at the latest, unless they have been given any other additional Home-Learning such as RE, Art, History, Geography, Science etc.
The children need to be secure in their 2, 5 and 10 times tables. Please practice them with your child. Times tables will be tested every Friday.
Times table Rock Stars will also be allocated homework 4 sessions a week. Challenge your class mates and other teachers!
Files to Download
Year 2: News items
Year 2: Gallery items
There are no Gallery items to display