Year 1 2020 -2021
Welcome to our Year One class page.
In Year 1, we work and play together, helping each other to achieve our best. We try really hard to work independently, persevere and aim high! We enjoy learning practically, exploring new topics and having fun!
Year 1 is a transition year as we start Key Stage 1 National Curriculum but we aim to make this as smooth as possible. Year 1 is a mixture of children learning through play and more formal tasks which will evolve by the end of the year so they are prepared for Year 2.
If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to make an appointment with me.
This page will be updated throughout the year with key information, ideas for supporting your child's development and pictures of the learning and achievements of your child's journey in Year One.
Share In Our Learning
In the 'Files to Download' at the bottom of the page is a letter which contains information about what your child will be learning this half term.
We would normally have a Meet the Teacher meeting at the start of the year. However, this year it is not possible to do this in person. The powerpoint is available to download below and it has key information about Year 1 and the learning we will be doing.
If your device cannot open this link, there is a PDF (without sound) of the PowerPoint attached at the bottom of the page.
Year 1 have been very busy on their first week back! They have been reading the book; 'While We Can't Hug' by Eoin McLaughlin. Click the link below to access a video clip of the book:
Dates to Remember
P.E. is every Wednesday and Friday.
Home-learning to be handed in every Tuesday and will be handed out every Thursday.
Thank you to the families that have brought in a picture of their child with their family.
Home Learning Maths and Literacy books will be handed out every Thursday and is expected to be handed in every Tuesday.
Only complete 1 page per book every week.
School is now starting at 8.55am and finishing at 3.25pm.
St. Ambrose water bottles can be purchased at the Office. These are to be filled with water only.
- Your child needs to read at home every night and bring their book bag into school every day so an adult in school can hear them read.
- Your child needs a P.E. kit in school every day and can be taken home at the end of every half term. This must include pumps or velcro trainers for outside games.
- Year One starts at 8.55am everyday and it is vital your child is in at this time. School finishes at 3.25pm.
- The entrance to the Year one classroom will be via the red door in the main playground. A member of staff will greet you outside and there are markers on the floor to help with social distancing.
- Parents are not allowed to enter the school building.
- We ask that only one adult comes to drop your children off to avoid too many people on the playground.
- As we need parents to exit the playground quickly, if you need a longer conversation with Miss Jameson we kindly ask you to contact the school office.
- If you are late to school, we are unable to guarantee the safety of your child and avoid mixing with other year groups. Therefore, if you arrive after 9.10am, we will not be able to take your child that day.
- Year One children are welcome to go to Breakfast club and After school club, as long as places are available. However, this must be booked at least 24 hours before and must be paid online, in advance.
Returning to school can be overwhelming and seem scary for some.
Child Line has many well-being activities for children to help them understand and cope in the current pandemic.
Click on the link below for more information:
Files to Download
Year 1: News items
Newsletter 25th September 2020, by Mrs Maguire
Disney Day Themed Menu, by Mrs Maguire
Year 1: Gallery items
There are no Gallery items to display
Year 1: Calendar items
There are no Calendar items to display